Week 6 Story: The Birth of Noah


Updated Version in my Portfolio 

The Life of Noah

There was once a man named Lamech. As he was continuing to grow older, he desired a life filled with family: a wife and a child. For many, many years this longing was left unfilled. Lamech begin to feel as if he would never be a father. Then, as if it was fate, Lamech met the woman of his dreams, and they became married. Lamech and his wife lived a happy and quiet life on a beautiful farm in the hills. Although his heart was happy, he still felt a longing to become a father. Lamech’s wife soon became pregnant. One day while working together on the farm, Lamech’s wife said, “It is time.” Lamech was overcome with joy. He was finally going welcome his baby boy into the world and become a father. But, what came next no one expected. The baby did not look or act like a normal baby. Instead, the baby had characteristics of both a man and angel. The baby had locks of hair that were white as snow that challenged a grown mans. His eyes were like beams from the sun; illuminating everywhere he went. And, when the baby opened his mouth, he praised the Lord God almighty. Lamech was taken aback by these unusual characteristics. This is not what he was expecting. This is not what he had waited so long for. Lamech was so distraught that he fled and sought the advice of his father, Methuselah. Lamech said, “Father, I do not know what to do. My son is not normal. He is a man child with locks of hair as white as snow, eyes that are like beams straight from the sun, and he speaks perfect praises of righteousness to the Lord. Father, what should I do? What have I done? For this is not my child, but a child of the angles.” Methuselah, hearing the desperation in his son’s voice, sought the one of great wisdom for advice, Enoch. Methuselah then described the peculiar situation. Enoch said, “There will one day be a great flood that covers the ends of the Earth. The flood will kill everyone and everything in its path. This will act to cleanse the world of all impurities. But, there will be one who will lead and ensure the survival of mankind during this punishment. The one who will live on is named Noah, and he is your grandchild. Your grandchild will lead the world out of the greatest punishment of all time. Now go and name him Noah. Methuselah went at once to meet his grandchild. He feared that his grandchild would be persecuted if people knew who he truly was. Therefore, he was only called Noah by his grandfather. To others his name was Menahem, the great comforter. Throughout his life Noah formed a special bond with his grandfather. Methuselah taught Noah acts of courage and bits of wisdom. For he knew—and only he knew—that his grandson would one day lead the world out of despair. This is the story of the birth of Noah.


God took Enoch
Gerard Hoet - Source: Wikimedia Commons


Author’s Note: This is a re-creation of the story The Birth of Noah by Louis Ginzberg. The original version contained more information about Biblical aspects of the story. Specifically, the original version ties the punishment—the great flood—back to the beginning of the Bible in Genesis regarding the story of Adam and Eve. Instead of focusing on this aspect of the story, I chose to focus more on the relationship between Lamech and his father, Methuselah, and the relationship between Methuselah and his grandchild, Noah.

Bibliography: The Legends of the Jews by Louis Ginzberg (1909). Book 1, Chapter 4, Noah.

Comments

  1. Hey there! I really like the way you described the characters and the detail you put into this story. The only thing I have to say is I wish you broke it up into smaller paragraphs because it was a little hard to read when it is all bunched up into one big one. I think if you broke up the story to where every three sentences or so was a new paragraph it would really help it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I read Noah's story in one of my earlier readings, so I enjoyed seeing what you did with your version of the story. Having it foreshadow what Noah's future would be like that was such a unique way of writing a story. I like how you implemented other biblical characters into it as well. My only critique would also be the same as Hayley's above. The story was great, but there were some times where my eyes would get lost at the part I was reading. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! First off, I have to say that I have really enjoyed reading your story and it was really cool to see how you put your own spin and personality into the original version of the story. I have not read the original version yet, but after reading your rendition, I think I have a pretty good idea as to what the original version is about. I definitely think that foreshadowing Noah's future would be a fun thing to write about in the future! Overall, I really enjoyed reading your story and I look forward to reading more from you as this semester goes on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Woman and the Bear