Reading Notes, Nigeria Unit, Part B


For the second part of the Nigeria Unit reading, I am going to focus on the story The Election of the King Bird by Elphinstone Dayrell. I think this is a really interesting story. I have read stories about animals assisting with human tasks, but I have never read anything about the organization and hierarchy of these animals. Although the story mainly focuses on the animals and the battle that ensues, I think it is very interesting that the King chose animals over humans. 

There are many different aspects and characters in this story but I feel like the  author did a great job of incorporating each character and creating a cohesive atmosphere in the story. I think it would be cool to use this as the story's base but instead of focusing on the king of the birds, focus on the king of the beasts, the elephant. I think this would create a fun and exciting story that would easily grab people's attention. Although the elephant may not be the most feared animal, its brute size and force make it a powerful and influential player. 

File:Elephant.jpg
An Elephant in Kruger National Park
Source - Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography: Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria by Elphinstone Dayrell 1910.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 7 Story - The Amazed Chemist