Feedback Strategies


The first article I chose to read was The Difference Between Praise and Feedback by Anya Kamenetz. What I found most interesting (and relatable) was the different between praise and feedback. I completely agree that it is much more meaningful to receive detailed, attentive feedback (such as pointing out a specific thing) than just saying "good job!". Using detailed and attentive details in your feedback exudes a sense of appreciation knowing that they [whoever is providing the feedback] actually took the time to observe and study what you were doing. Not only does this confer beneficial, constructive feedback, it also provides a sense of pride in your work. 

The second article I chose to read was How to Give Feedback Without Sounding Like a Jerk by Adam Grant. This has been one of the most useful articles I have read in a while. Part of my job with the Student Learning Center is to observe our tutors and offer feedback about what they need to improve upon. This may sound easy but, like the article mentions, it is actually really hard to give honest, open feedback. I have always heard of the sandwich method but have never really been a huge fan. I could never really explain why I wasn't a fan, I just wasn't. I appreciate Adam mentioning the primacy and recency effects. This helps to justify my dislike of the sandwich method; and he used science to do it! I really think all of his points are great and I look forward to trying them out for myself.



Photo by Nick Youngson | Alpha Stock Images

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Woman and the Bear