Reading Notes - Beowulf Part A


For the reading this week, I chose to read the first part of the Beowulf Unit. Specifically, in my notes, I am going to write about the story The Young Beowulf by Strafford Riggs.

Although this is not the most exciting story, I like how it is written and the message it portrays. First off, I like how it focuses on the progression through Beowulf's youth. It follows him through his first beginnings all the way to manhood. I also like how you can see Beowulf grow and develop in this story. Physically he grows much stronger, but there is also an important emotional/psychological aspect to this story. The psychological aspect it was what really caught my attention to this story. It seems as if Beowulf is depressed. He didn't speak much. He appears shy or not confident. The story says, "Beowulf sat in gloomy silence." Even more telling, the story says, "He drank long and deep... his thoughts, too, were deep and long." I think these statements help reveal the true nature of Beowulf's inner feelings. 

Overall, this story was well written, and although it was action packed, in my opinion, revealed important characteristics of Beowulf's character, which helps familiarize the reader with Beowulf going forward. I am considering using this as a base for my next portfolio story.  
Image result for Drinking Horn
Drinking Horn - Source: Picryl

Bibliography: The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs with illustrations by Henry Pitz (1933).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Woman and the Bear