Reading Notes: Chinese Fairy Tales, Part B


I also enjoyed reading the second part of Chinese Fairy Tales unit. I have decided to focus my notes on the story The Little Hunting Dog by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens. 

This story is very similar to the story my notes focus on for the first part of the reading which was The King of the Ants. In this story, a scholar decides the city is too loud for him to concentrate so he decides to go stay in a Buddhist temple. The story mentions how the scholar suffered because of an infestation of gnats and fleas in his room. One night while studying, tiny knights rode in his room riding miniature horses. Other knights were on foot with hunting dogs and hunting falcons. The falcons and dogs attacked and killed all of the fleas and gnats. After they had killed all of the gnats and fleas the falcons and dogs laid next to the scholar on his bed. Then the king arrives and everyone gathers around him. After they had conversed with the king, they gathered everything up and left. The scholar saw one, lone hunting dog that had been forgotten. The scholar and the dog soon formed a unique relationship. The dog would kill all of the fleas and then cuddle with the scholar. One night, the dog got in the bed to kill fleas while the scholar was still asleep and the scholar accidentally rolled over on the dog killing it. 

I enjoy the personification and miniaturization included in this story. For my story this week, I am going to base it off of stories like this. I really enjoyed reading the story up till the ending. I did not care for the ending. I felt it was an abrupt ending. Also, who likes to read about a dog being killed...

Dachshund in the Sand
Source - Pxhere

Bibliography: The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Woman and the Bear