Growth Mindset - Assessment, Choice, and the Learning Brain





  • What is at least one thing that the article CONFIRMED for you that you knew already?
    • One thing I already knew that the article confirmed was that many teachers--and professors for that matter--have an outdated method for assessing student understanding. Many test the students' ability to memorize facts, figures, formulas, etc., but do not focus on how to best help students retain and encoded this knowledge into long-term memory.

  • What is at least one NEW thing that you learned that you did not know before?
    • Although I have developed and used both of these types of goals depending on the subject/class, I never viewed academic goals as either performance-related or mastery. This does make a great deal of sense to me. I can still recall information that I was determined to master for one reason or another. 

  • What is the one thing you are now CURIOUS to explore (i.e. something you want to try in your life, something you want to research and learn more about, etc.) and what are you going to do in order to act on that curiosity?

    • In the future, I would like to serve as a medical professor. As such, I am very interested in education. Really, I am interested in a wide range of education topics such as administration, teaching, pedagogy, assessment, leadership, and much more. Therefore, I am curious to learn more about the most effective ways to assess student understanding. To begin learning more about this topic, I think it may be best to start with additional articles that focus on the research and conclusions behind academic assessment. 

Image result for Student Assessment graphic
Source: SUNY Oswego

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Woman and the Bear