Reading Notes: Blackfoot, Part A


For this week's reading I chose to read the Blackfoot Stories Unit. Specifically, I chose to focus on the story Blackfoot: Cold Maker's Medicine. At first I was unsure if I wanted to write my notes about this story. The beginning of the story was peculiar. An old women killing men to commit cannibalism and feed her tamed black bears. It wasn't until the end of the story that I was able to appreciate and understand the story. Although the story was odd, I couldn't stop reading. I wanted to know what happened, and I think this is an important characteristic of any great story: it draws and keeps your attention. I like how the author explained Cold Maker's medicine. For example, how producing his own smoke via a pipe prevented the smoke from the fire continuing to lower. I thought this was a very creative addition. I thought the story was well written and easy to follow. I like how they story was narrated but also included direct quotes from the characters. I also felt the story provided vivid details enabling the reader to truly imagine the story. I am not sure if I would write a similar story like this for my portfolio, but I definitely think there are beneficial and important styles that can be pulled from this story.


Image result for walking in forest blizzard
Olympic National Park - Source: National Park Service

Bibliography: Blackfeet Indian Stories: Cold Maker's Medicine by George Bird Grinnell (1915).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 7 Story - The Amazed Chemist