Reading Notes: Nigeria Unit, Part A


For this week's reading, I chose to read the Nigeria Unit. Overall, I really enjoyed reading the first part of this unit. In particular, my reading notes are going to focus on the story, Of the Pretty Stranger who Killed the King

This was a very interesting story. It was action packed and easily kept my attention. It started by providing background information about the situation and then moved on to the plan. I especially like the deceptive nature of this story. I think it would be really fun and interesting to write a story focusing on deception. Compared to other stories, this story was also very barbaric and vivid. This added an extra layer and depth to the story. I think I am going to use this story for the basis of my next portfolio addition. I also like the ironic statement at the end! Overall, this was a really great story. It did a great job at setting up a whole society and situation in a very short and easy to follow manner. 

Also, although this story is set in a time in which monarchs still reigned, it still applies to today's time. Government, institutions, etc. still use deception get what they want. So not only can this story be used as a past event, it can also be set in current times. This aspect gives this story a very customization effect. 

Image result for king dead in bed
The Last Sleep of Arthur in Avalon
Source - Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography: Folk Stories from Southern Nigeria by Elphinstone Dayrell (1910).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Woman and the Bear