Reading Notes, Part A: Apache


For the first part of the reading this week I chose to read the Apache Unit. Particularly, I am going to focus on the story Apache: Coyote Secures Fire.

To be honest, I found many of the stories in this unit difficult/challenging to read. I felt as if significant background information is needed to be able to fully understand what they meant for the story to mean. I chose Apache: Coyote Secures Fire because of the realistic nature of the children's knowledge. Specifically, there is an instance where the children are asked something that they know but refuse to answer. Coyote then creates a string of beads and brides the children to tell him what he wants to know. Since there is a reward involved the children comply and tell Coyote what he wants to know. I thought this was really interesting. This is very realistic and true but since the author creates the story they can write it however they want. I found it interesting how the author revealed the selfish nature of the children. I think it would be cool to include this in one of my future stories. 

Image result for outdoor fire
Outdoor Fire - Source: PxHere

Bibliography: Jicarilla Apache Texts edited by Pliny Earle Goddard (1911).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Woman and the Bear