Reading Notes - Beowulf Part B


For the second part of the reading this week, I am continuing to read the Beowulf Unit. Specifically, in my note, I am going to discuss the story Grendel Attacks by Strafford Riggs.

First first thing that caught my attention in this story was how well the first few paragraphs set the base setting for the story. Its ominous and descriptive detail sets up a clear picture in the reader's mind. The story is written with such detail throughout. There is detail regarding Beowulf feelings and actions; Grendel's appearance; and an overall descriptive narrative of the setting of the story. I also enjoy how the ominous theme is clearly carried throughout the story. 

Overall, this story was very easy to read and easily kept my attention as the reader. I especially like how this story was set up. The setting was introduced, then Beowulf was mentioned, then Grendel was introduced, and, lastly, the ending set up the introduction to the next story The Battle with Grendel. I could definitely see a similar story fitting into my mythology portfolio well. I also really like the ending of this story. Unlike most endings, the ending of this story is not slowing down, rather it is building up. This build up at the end encourages the reader to continue reading the story. I think it is a perfect way to introduced/set-up for the next story. 


Image result for grendel
Stories of Beowulf and Grendel 


Bibliography: The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs with illustrations by Henry Pitz (1933).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Woman and the Bear