Reading Notes: Black Foot Unit, Part B



For the second part of the Blackfoot Unit reading this week, I am going to focus on the story The Smart Woman Chief. Written by George Bird Grinnell in 1915.

The first element of this story that I like is how women do not know men exist and men do not know women exist. I think this open and honest unknowing creates a sense of innocence among the story. I found it interesting that once they discovered about the opposite sex they immediate engaged in common human customs, such as getting married. I also found it interesting how they determined both women and men's strengths. 

Overall, this story was easily to read and follow along with. It was an interesting story, and you can't help but feel bad for the Old Man. I do like how the chief of the women showed her strength and put the Old Man in his place. There are some terms that you need to be aware of before you are able to fully understand and appreciate the story; so, a little background information might be needed. I also like how the setting of this story is that it is being told to others as a story or an old wise tale. I think making this a little more evident and including participation from an audience may help create more of a close-knit community feel. 

Image result for pine tree
Pine Trees - Source: Flickr

Bibliography: Blackfeet Indian Stories, The Smart Woman Chief, by George Bird Grinnell (1915).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Woman and the Bear